Monday, August 31, 2015

Monday, Wednesday and Friday with Kori ( from Kami and a lot less dramatic)

As you already know, from Kaci's last post, Mom and Dad flew the coop and left Kac and I in charge of Kor for the week. 
Because I have the "cushy" job, more flexible schedule, I was asked to care for Kori everyday but Tuesday. 
Kori has therapy Monday, Wednesday and Friday...so that meant therapy time was up to me!
I, like Kaci, was a little nervous before the week started.  However Mom called 32 times before she left town and texted about 63 times to give me all the facts. She told me the same information 12 different ways so I was set on where to be, how to get there and what to do once I got there. But I was unsure what to expect from Kori. How would she act? Would she cry? Would she be embarrassed when I helped her to the bathroom? Would I be able to help her walk without letting her fall? Would I get mad if people stared at her? Would I still find that the Kori I know is still inside somewhere? 
Just nervous in general.
But like Kaci, once Monday morning came and I walked into The Hyde home everything was just fine, great even!
Kori talked, she smiled, she stood with little help and walked with even less help. She is a pro and I watched in amazement at the strength my brave sister has.
Kori has always been extraordinary but now she is a miracle.

I tied her shoes, put on her hat (which she said she HAD to wear or mom would get mad at me) and we were off.

The first day of therapy for the week Kim decided to try something new. Actually EVERYTHING he did that day was new to her.
Kori road a stationary bike. Which I think she enjoyed. She smiled a lot and looked like a natural.
 She did the leg press and even showed off a bit using only her left leg.
 Then she moved to the "other machine"...I don't know what you call it.
This one was a little hard for her. 
These exercises continued throughout the week and she worked so hard at each of them. Both of her therapists kept telling her that "today was her best day yet". I would like to think it was because her little sister was there cheering her on...but I can't take credit...it was ALL her!

All the while Mom texted me. I swear I haven't heard from the woman since April 15th and I couldn't get her to stop texting me. I had everything under control. I am a smart, capable woman after all.
Mom text to make sure I got there on time and safely. She text to see which therapist Kori saw first. Mom text to see what hat Kori wore...and then after seeing a picture she text to tell me to pull the hat back off Kori's forehead. She text to give me all the details about each therapist. How many kids they had, where they grew up, which ones were her favorites.
She text to talk about the weather. 
PHEEEEW! Even I was exhausted by the end of therapy.

All week Kori kept making this funny face, during her exercises or when the therapist would say something she didn't like. I couldn't quite make it out but each time I would turn my head and laugh.
Finally when she made it at Richard he said, "now that is a concerned face" and she replied, "NOPE it is an annoyed face!" 
This truth-telling-Kori is someone new to me and I think I like her!



  
On Wednesday I asked if Kori wanted to put her hat on before we left for therapy, again she said "if I don't mom will be mad at you." So I said " who the HELL cares." So she chose NOT to wear her hat and I didn't have to get mad at a single person for staring. Most were so kind and I saw the heartbreak they felt for her...not pity...but genuine sadness.  But I didn't take any pictures so there would be NO PROOF.

The rest of the week was more of the same...pretty much uneventful. Until Kaci came into the picture and all hell broke loose! 

Kori and I had some good conversations, she was upbeat and never shed a tear. She laughed and told some great stories. 
There were a couple funny and embarrassing things that happened that we giggled about. I don't think I will share those here. I will save those memories for Kori and I.

All in all I LOVED my time with Kori this last week. I am even feeling quite sad that I don't get to go spend time with her today.
It was hard watching my sister struggle through simple everyday tasks. It was hard to watch her think through every single movement of her body, trying so hard to get her brain to understand. It was heartbreaking watching her exercise through pain and discomfort. But it was also inspiring.
She is inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment