Wednesday, August 5, 2015

I can do hard things

 Booker T. Washington said
"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you have to overcome to reach your goals"

The Goal:  To be healthy and cancer free

The Obstacles:  STROKE (and subsequent paralysis), Radiation, Chemotherapy,  Anti-nausea Medication,  Blood Thinner Injections,  Physical Therapy,  Occupational Therapy,  Speech Therapy, Steriods and a whole lot of other super crappy stuff.

If we are measuring the level of accomplishment by the obstacles that have been overcome,
then this is by far the hugest accomplishment that I have ever witnessed, by someone that I know personally.   And I know that Kori is EXHAUSTED all the time right now.  And I know that she pretty much always feels lousy, but in a few weeks when the side effects have worn off and the struggle is nothing more than a memory, she will be able to sit back with her hands behind her head and say...  "Yep.... I just recently accomplished the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.   And I overcame it.  And I am stronger for it.   I am now empowered with a new level of compassion for others who will go behind me with their own battle.  I will know what to say and what to do.   I will forever be able to say that I know that I am capable of doing hard things.  I have NEVER been so scared in my life.   Nevertheless, I walked straight into the fire.  And came out stronger on the other side."

Today marked the end of her treatments
(For now anyway.  There will be some maintenance treatment but that will be later).
And we were so excited to help her celebrate. 
Mom took her over for her final radiation treatment
Dad bought a bouquet of balloons and he and I hid in the back of the building and awaited Mom's text that coast was clear to come in to the office.

We waited and waited
 And waited.   And Dad stared at his phone.  And breathed heavily.   And paced. 
And then he just gave up and called her on the phone


Russ and the kids were already there.
Minus Garrett, who got stuck at work.
 And it was so cute,  Dr.  Richards was almost more excited than we were.
He put us in the conference room and 
he kept coming in and checking on us. 
And one of the staff members brought us some candy bars to snack on while we waited
for the 12 minute treatment to conclude.
They finally came and got us and took us out to the lobby
 Her Certificate of Completion was waiting for her on the counter


 And Dr. Richards wheeled her out
And she was very emotional.
The mask on her lap is the mask she wore during Radiation Treatments (not sure what will happen to it now).
 This is Joe...  He was wonderful during all of her procedures

 Russ was so proud
 Dr. Richards presented her with her Certificate of Completion and a candy bar
to remind her to keep being sweet
 A group photo

 "Thank You Cupcakes" for the Staff of Gamma West
who are the best staff, but we hope that she will never see any of them in a Professional setting ever again.  No offense.  But, really....  
And then we wheeled her out to the car and Russ said
"Where do you want to go for lunch?"
And without hesitation, she said
"Honolulu Grill"
Atta Girl
Way to make a decision.

Congratulations Kori
You did it.

P.S.  Please don't forget about Kuts for Kori this Saturday, August 8, 2015 from 10:00 - 2:00 p.m. at
Fanci Hair
Solutions Hair and Body
Hairitage Hair Academy

We appreciate your love and support!!

2 comments:

  1. This post and the one before it...how wonderful to be finished with these awful treatments! I have admired your family for all of these years since Brent and Kami's wedding. I think you are all just marvelous people! Our prayers are with you all
    and especially sweet Kori! Here's to feeling much better really soon!

    ReplyDelete