Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A New Year

There is something strange about writing a blog about someone's journey through an illness.   It's backwards...
You write a ton when there is a lot going on.  And there is a lot going on when things are not happy.
There for a while,  I could write every single day and most of it was unpleasant to write about.

Nowadays, there isn't a lot to write about because things have mellowed out.
And things are happy (relatively speaking).

Kori had a seizure, her first and hopefully her last on November 29th
It was a Sunday Night and Russ was taking a nap and Grant found her and he did all the right things and they got her to the hospital really quick.
Of course, they ran every test including an MRI which provided us with very good news...
The "lesion" is much smaller
The edema is reduced
The swelling is reduced/gone.
Additionally, they could find "no reason" for the seizure.... 
Other than the fact that she technically had a severe brain injury and so why would her brain not go a little spazzy from time to time.  I suppose it's entitled to.
The truth is the doctors are actually shocked that she hasn't had a seizure before now. 

~Christmas~
Russ and Kori were invited to the Cardiac Rehab Christmas Party. 
And it turned out that the party wasn't so much a Christmas Party as it was a Kori Party.
Former patients were there, cardiac surgeons came as well as other hospital workers.  
It was a wonderful event.
They had wanted to have a Fun Run in her honor but as the planning started to happen, there were too many "hoops" to jump through and so instead they just collected large amounts of money in the forms of more than generous donations.  
We don't really know what the final amount was....  it's not for us to know.
What we do know is the amount of love and support shown to them is unbelievable.

Kori and Russ' ward still bring a meal to their family every night Monday through Friday.
This blows my mind.
I volunteered to bring a meal to a family in our ward a month ago and let me tell you...  It was a feat and very nearly killed me.
It's hard enough for me to feed my own family (mostly because I am domestically impaired and so making a simple meal overwhelms me) and I think of the families that do this for them day after day.  And I think of the amazing sister/sisters that are coordinating all of these meals and I could cry.  
I think of the expense....  I think of the time it takes to not only shop for food but to prepare it and the hardest part (in my opinion)...  putting it in bowls and pans and transporting it over to their house. 
There have been NUMEROUS acts of kindness and service given to the Hyde Family but one I really must mention.  A lady in their ward, Ruth, comes EVERY WEEK and cleans their THREE bathrooms!!! Talk about an act of service.  One of those bathrooms belongs to the Hyde Boys...just think about it...or maybe, don't. 
We are beyond grateful.

Our family celebrated Christmas as we always have.
Kori and Russ spent Christmas Eve with Russ' family for dinner and then joined our family for dessert.  We each pick a name and give an exchange gift.
This year Kami chose Kori's name and she gave her an "easy to put on" sweatshirt.
It is more difficult than one would imagine to put clothes on Kori's unruly left arm, so I'm told.
 The holidays really boosted her spirits.
Maybe because she was able to get out and socialize. 

Another event was our annual New Year's Day Luncheon.
We go to Sakura (which is Japanese Hibachi)
It could have been stimulus overload very easily, but she did really well.
She even tried to catch the tossed shrimp.




Okay...  so I am going to hear from my mom and Kami about posting these pictures.
But, I tried to edit them 3 times on my Mac and I experienced 3 episodes of failure making me question my intelligence, so I gave up and chose to move on.


Kami and Brent turn 40 one week apart.  
Savanna threw a "surprise" birthday party for them at the Pizza Pie Cafe.
Here are some of my observations of the event.
1.  I thoroughly enjoyed sitting by Kori.  She was so funny and cracked me up several times.  Some of the time she meant to....  but a couple of the times, she wasn't trying to be funny, but she just was.  I love that her personality is back.   And that she has a sense of humor. 
2.  She told me that her taste buds have changed.  She doesn't like sweets anymore and for sure NOT chocolate.  It burns her throat.  She likes chips and salty foods, especially nuts.  And "strawberry sprites with lime" make her mouth water every time she thinks of them.  She sends Garrett to Arctic Circle every day.  Kori and Soda...  never thought it would happen.
3.  We (Kori and I) didn't know 90% of the party guests.  Which made us feel weird... like we were outsiders.  We're NOT!!!
4.  Kori looks really cute in this picture.
 This is Ryker (Kori's nephew and my son).  He is 4.  He came up to Kori and said
"you're cute, I'll sit by you."
It was so funny.
I bet she was so glad too..  he spilled his drink 3 times,  he probably kicked her 100 times,  he bumped into her chair and NON STOP talked about random nonsense for over an hour.
Sorry, Kori.  Try not to be so cute next time and he'll sit somewhere else.

And finally,  Kori got a little trim to the new do today.
Cicely cuts her hair and I personally love it.  
Especially when it is spiked.
Her hair is so dark, almost black and I'm jealous of how very little grey she has.
It seems to be growing in nicely and she should have no problem growing it out fast when the time comes.  The right side of her head isn't growing in as quickly.  
Her scar is healing up very nicely.  It looks really good.
Kori is on a "maintenance" chemo program...5 days on, 23 off.  We like the "off" days best but the "on" days seem to be getting better each month.  She just finished her 5 days "on" and she pretty much sailed through them.  Sunday was a little rough and on Monday she was wiped out but she never complains and is a very good patient.  She returned to rehab today (Tuesday) and worked as hard as ever.  

Thank you to everyone who continues to read our blog and support our family with overwhelming acts of kindness, service and generosity. 

And Love.

P.S.  Kori really enjoys reading the comments (we do too).  Please leave a little comment and let her know you were here.  We appreciate your support.

16 comments:

  1. It was a great holiday season and it felts a little like old times. I was looking back at pictures from last year at this time and it blows my mind to think of what 365 days can really change. That doesn't seem like a lot of time and yet so much has happened, so much has changed, both good and bad.
    I am glad the blog is back up and running even though I know how time consuming it is. If you weren't such a skilled writer you wouldn't have to do it. :)
    I can't wait to see what 2016 has in store for our family. I know 365 (minus a few) will fly by and at Christmas time next year we will once again be blown away with all that has changed.
    I too would like to thank everyone who thinks of Kori, who often asks of Kori, who continuously serves Kori and her family. Thank you to those who pray daily for her and our family...you have no idea what a strength this has been for all of us this year. Words cannot express our gratitude and the love we feel for each of you.
    Happier 2016!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear all of this good news. I have thought of Kori so often and all of you, of course! Prayers still coming! I must say, I live in a ward/neighborhood like the Hydes have. I have witnessed countless acts and hours of service both known and unknown. People are good. Kori is loved. It is an honor to love and serve and give to people like her! Blessings to you all, that this new year will be a bit more calm and quiet, but still full of many joys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Kami for updating. I think of Kori so often. And thanks for the pics. Keep it up Kori. You have always been the most amazing person and a true champion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the update!! Kori it was so great to see you at the party!! you look amazing!!! I think of you often and keep you and your family in my prayers!! XOXO Mriam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kori, I met you through Gary and Kellie Forrest (I am their sister in law) and have thought and prayed for you often as you have gone through your ordeal. You are inspiring and so strong, and I love that your sister has a blog of updates, because it is a great way to see how you are. I seriously love your hair, and hope it stays shaved for some time. :) You were always so kind whenever I saw you, and I know everyone feels the same way whenever they meet you. Hope you continue to get stronger and keep doing well. With love, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to hear how well Kori is doing and all the works of kindness given to her and her on a daily basis! I didn't know she had a seizure!!!! How scary! Samantha prays for her every single night and loves her very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the update. Of course, I ask about Kori and get the updates from Brent and Kami but I don't get all the little details. I got so teary and emotional reading about the Hydes good ward. We have an incredible ward as well. This last year we were recipients of acts of kindness and service when my mother passed away. I am continually amazed by what wonderful people there are in the world. So many so willing to give of their time and talents. Kori as well as all the Littles continue to be in our prayers! We love you all!
    JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the update! We love Kori, Russ and their great kids! Love and prayers to each of you everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about Kori and wondering how she is. Thanks for the update. She looks great. I love her short hair. That is so awesome about her Ward and the bathroom cleaning lady. Wow. Hoping 2016 brings nothing but good things to her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Complete ditto to what Val said! Love the update, love the progress, love this family- and all those that serve them, and love the hair. Hope 2016 holds many more blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for writing again. I love knowing what's going on and understand that every day isn't 'post worthy'. I giggle over the cute way you see the world, Kaci. A sense of humor can sure get us through rough patches and yours helps a lot!
    Kori, you look soooo good. Your haircut is stylin' and I love that smile of yours.
    What an amazing ward! The wondrous thing is that you could be in any ward and they would do the same for you. This church creates amazing people, doesn't it? The lady that cleans the bathrooms has a straight shot to heaven for sure!

    God is surely blessing you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kori,
    I have always been impressed by you and your bright spirit, but following this journey of yours has been truly inspiring to say the least. I check in regularly (Thank you Kami for taking time to keep us all up to date). Everytime I see a pic of you smiling through the struggles, I am motivated to be a better, happier person. Your zest for life even radiates through a camera! Thank you for your example of strength and posetivity. You truly are an amazing woman!
    Lots of Love!
    Jaylene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kori,
    I have always been impressed by you and your bright spirit, but following this journey of yours has been truly inspiring to say the least. I check in regularly (Thank you Kami for taking time to keep us all up to date). Everytime I see a pic of you smiling through the struggles, I am motivated to be a better, happier person. Your zest for life even radiates through a camera! Thank you for your example of strength and posetivity. You truly are an amazing woman!
    Lots of Love!
    Jaylene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new do! Sorry hair is the best. ..just saying! I am glad to hear that things have calmed down a bit and pay that all will continue to improve. Moss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new do! Sorry hair is the best. ..just saying! I am glad to hear that things have calmed down a bit and pay that all will continue to improve. Moss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kori, I am so very glad you are doing so well, and you look absolutely ADORABLE...love the haircut!! You and your family continue to be in our prayers, and I love this blog for the updates. You are such an amazing and strong woman, quite an inspiration to me! Thank you 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete